Tuesday, November 9, 2010

As We May Think Response

When I first read this, I was very confused as to what this guy was talking about in this article and it was not very clear to me. I had copy and pasted the info from the web page so I can read it on the train. I failed to see that the article was written in 1945. Going back to the web page and seeing that little piece of important information cleared thing up ten fold for me. The article made sense.

Having said that, it is a very interesting article. He predicts many of the things that we take today for granted, such as the "dry photography" he talked about. Digital cameras are just a normal everyday occurrence to us now. We give it no though to how the process works and are not baffled by it. We just know that we can take a picture and look at it instantly.

After reading the article and acknowledging that it was written in 1945, I was reminded of a video I saw on YouTube. I forgot what it was called or who the video featured, but it was an old black and white film in which a professor or scientist or someone was talking about the future of communication. He was predicting that two men would no longer have to be in proximity of each other to have a conversation. They could be on opposite sides of the country. He was essentially predicting the internet and social networking sites. There was some other topics he also addressed in the video that came true, but the internet part was what I remembered most. If anyone knows the video I am talking about or has seen it, its pretty crazy cool.

Overall, this article was a good read. I always enjoy reading or hearing something from someone predicting the future and then acknowledging them to be right. It's somewhat creepy in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment