To me this reading was somewhat hard to follow, by that I mean it was hard to determine what point exactly the author was trying to make. It seemed like he bounced quickly between different subjects, from when and how television came to be, what defines video art, to production costs for editing film. Perhaps it could be my lack of understanding his intent of the piece as a whole, or some of the terminology he used that was foreign to me, but all in all, I had a very hard time comprehending most of this reading as far as what I was supposed to learn or get out of it. One thing however that I did find interesting was the fact that television (or video) some what stemmed from radio during the post World War era, and that the government seemed to control who would be able to "transmit" information via this medium by limiting the general public to access to necessary equiptment financially. They did this by increasing the costs of, or limiting access to things such as video cameras, while making it possible (once again financially) for the general public to afford the recievers for "their" transmissions. I find this interesting, because today there are about 5 major corporations that control the television networks ; Disney, NBC, CBS, Viacom, and I can't remember the last one, who still control the access the general public has to broadcasting their work on-air, which is virtually no access. After reading this article, I realized that this control of the media, and what is broadcasted to us, was being run and censored by the government from the get go.
No comments:
Post a Comment