The "Video Art" reading was a bit of a dry read for me; yet there were somethings that I related with. The fact that a tv screen is compared to a living thing, right there in reality in front of us. I can agree with that, there have been a number of times I've spent the whole day losing track of times as I watched that glorious screen, succumbing myself to her or his glow. If cars and boats can have genders, why not a tv. It's also interesting that television itself follows a social dictate of being both entertainer and salesman. Either by use of the shows that air that makes us laugh, cry, etc; with the commercials that flitter between them enough to say "hello, you should buy this". Another thing, I guess commercials for X-rated films were probably more common back in the day, because I haven't seen any lately; either that or I'm watching the wrong channels. That said tv itself has a structure to it. Most shows for example, follow a set path or plot, like first a problem may be presented, then trials and tribulations and then a resolution. That in itself, reminds me of life itself; so in a sense tv is just mimicking life, or perhaps it's the other way.
The reading about "Poor Image" was kind of interesting. In a way it is true that the more we take an image or any type of video and alter it, change it, resize it, etc; the more the image is distorted from what it originaly was. I mean today it seems we have totally disregarded personal property when it comes to any type of digital media. We see an image we like, we take it, decide to share and then it goes on from there to be seen everywhere. While on the one hand it's good because we can have access to things we might not be able to have access to normally. For ecample, I personally am strapped for cash, so to be able to read manga or watch anime online is great for me. On the other hand it's a negative because sometimes it can be used steal something and then claim that it's yours, when it isn't. In this day and age, we have become a society that shares, sometimes it might even be too much; however, despite that we should still be able to respect others.
No comments:
Post a Comment