Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who will be the first to post?

I wonder who will be the first to post. The first to post his/her reading response can win a prize. If you are not familiar with Blogger it is pretty easy. Since it is a web application, the help pages are very useful. You need not do anything fancy at first. I usually write my response in a text editor first, and then I simply copy and paste it in. The posting form has simple text features, too. You can experiment with adding links and images at will. Don't forget you can always save as a draft first, if you feel you aren't finished yet. Then you can make sure to "publish" before class. The sooner you post, however, the more feedback I can give you. Remember, also, I am not grading these posts, but they will serve as a jumping off point for discussion. Your reading responses do count towards your grade for participation.

2 comments:

  1. What I found most interesting in our assigned reading, and what I can most relate to from personal experience, is Lotman’s theory/explanation, that everyone will view a film differently and get a different experience from that film depending on their preparation. He explains that an individuals preparation for interpreting any text can be based upon a number of things such as educational back ground, socio-economic class, and culture. In the reading they give the example of how a child and an adult can both enjoy the same film, however they probably enjoy it for different reasons based off of what they can understand, and that each viewer can “skim off” different layers of meaning as they watch the film. I myself, as I’m sure everyone else has as well, have experienced this while watching a movie with younger kids. They will laugh at certain parts that are not as entertaining to the adults, while we pick up on deeper meanings and will sometimes laugh and catch jokes that the younger audience would have missed because they didn’t have the experience to understand. In the case that they do laugh…its usually because the adults are laughing, so they know it must be funny yet they don’t understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Semiotics goes way back to when we learned a lot about it in MTD1 and Game Culture class. Semiotics can be found everywhere, including in the cinema world. In the article, Lotman states that "every image on the screen is a sign," which is true, you can find a lot of meaning to each object such as movement, lighting, or props and they can be very symbolic. I really have to agree on all of Lotman's theories. He makes a great point about not noticing or seeing things the first time. We usually notice things the second time around, which explains why we enjoy watching films more than once. This is true; I've watched movies more than once, especially ones that are more complex than others. For example, in the movie Saw 3 I think (well one of those), I watched it twice because I didn't fully understand it until I watched it the second time around. With that, I noticed more things and it made a lot more sense than the first time I saw it. Lotman also states that "images of man are basic. When you have images of humans on the screen, there are several factors of semiotic signs all around. This again is a true statement. I never really realized it, but when I was reading and thinking about it, there are many kinds of signs to look for. These signs help to signify what is going on. All of his theories were very interesting and again, I would have to agree with all of them.
    I was a bit confused in the second part of the reading. I’m not going to lie I had to read it a few times over. I know that in the reading it explains Eisenstein’s and Wollen’s theory of montage. Montage would make more sense in Wollen’s theory. Cutting them up and putting it together will allow the audience to have a more emotional response oppose to having a collision of shots.

    ReplyDelete