Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Montage Paper

Montage’s is a collection of shorter clips or pictures put together for a longer video or movie. People make montages for many reasons, from art movies, to the best of something. I made a simple montage containing several pictures and a video that I will discuss.
The montage that I made had several pictures and one movie clip. The first picture was one of my own photos taken on a boat of me and my friends coming back from a school camping trip on an island. The second photo is of London England and more specifically of Big Ben and the surrounding court in blurred black and white which I will explain later. The third photo is of a coffee cup with coffee in it sitting a little dish on a table, also in blurred black and white. The fourth is of the bottom of a guitar with a metronome sitting in front of it, blurred and in black and white. The next picture is of a boat sitting on a beach, just in black and white. The final part is of a video clip of a young girl trying to jump rope on the sidewalk. So why did I edit the video the way I did?
I chose these photos because they are all of reality, very simple things, everyday objects, friends, coffee, guitars, having fun. These were some of the things I was striving for to get a feeling of things that we all can recognize and use, not things that we need, but things that make our lives more enjoyable and happy. It is a very down to earth video, one that we all relate to.
There were several reasons why I chose to make the photos blurred and in black and white. The first reason was because I was inspired by Hito Steyerl’s reading about how images are constantly being copied, uploaded, shared, edited, and after a while they just become blurred and different from the original and from the artist’s original meaning of the image. It’s an art form in itself, and all of it wasn’t even on purpose. This is how I wanted to show my images, as if they had been passed down one internet user at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment